Housing Subsidy – University of Copenhagen

Forward this page to a friend Resize Print Bookmark and Share

Housing Foundation > Practical Information > Living in Copenhagen > Housing Subsidy ("Boli...

Applying for Housing Subsidy (boligstøtte)

Some international tenants can apply for governmental housing subsidy via ‘Udbetaling Danmark’, which is a governmental office.

Requirements to apply are:

  • That you live in a ‘studio room’ (or own apartment) with private kitchen/kitchenette and bathroom.  Thus, if you live in a shared apartment or a studio room in a hall of residence with shared kitchen and/or bathroom, you cannot apply.

  • That your rental contract is for more than 6 months. If you apply for housing subsidy and state that you are renting for more than 6 months and it turns out not to be true, or if you shorten or terminate your tenancy contract, you will be required to pay the entire subsidy back to the Danish government.

  • That you inform ‘Udbetaling Danmark’ when you move (or in most cases, leave the country). They do not automatically know that your contract has ended.

  • Any applicant must apply via the online application system. You log onto this system at www.borger.dk using ‘NemID’. You cannot get a ‘NemID’ without having a CPR number, so you need to have that in order to apply.

Please note that the subsidy is not a right you have just by fulfilling the above. Each application is processed and evaluated individually by ‘Udbetaling Danmark’ and is also dependent on your income. Thus, students who receive scholarships, grants, or re-imbursements may not be eligible for the subsidy. The UCPH Housing Foundation is not involved in your application, whether it’s approved or denied.

How to apply?

Since information about ‘Udbetaling Danmark’ and the application process only is available in Danish, the UCPH Housing Foundation has made an unofficial translation of their application guidelines. We hope that this will be sufficient to enable you to fill in the application. If you still encounter problems or have any doubts, please direct your enquiry directly to ‘Udbetaling Danmark’.  The UCPH Housing Foundation cannot speak for the ‘Udbetaling Danmark’ and so, cannot advise you further.

Please find the guideline with our translation notes here.

A signed contract

‘Udbetaling Danmark’ will require you to upload a contract signed by the UCPH Housing Foundation. We are happy to assist you with this – but please note that we do not have a printing service for you. You must come to our offices with all pages of all three sections printed out and ready for us to sign.

Special circumstances

In some special cases, a residency permit may have been given with provision that the applicant is not receiving any subsidies whatsoever (normally international students can apply for ‘Boligstøtte’ even if they may not receive any other subsidies). Please direct any questions about this to the ‘Danish Immigration Service’.

For more details and to apply, please click here (only available in Danish):